Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Embossing Paste a la Cindy

Hello everyone, welcome back!

I am sure you have noticed that stencils seems to be all the rage right now!!   Virginia's View Challenge is underway and this second challenge is about stencils!  The Styling with Stencil Challenge is still on over at MFW.  So I am playing along.




I am sharing my process today, so the post is a little long!  Bear with me or skip ahead if you like.

I have use my ink with my stencil before, but I really want to try the embossing paste; however I don't have any and I won't have time to get some for this project which I want to finish as quickly as possible!  So I made my own.  I mixed Gesso and some embossing powder.  (These embossing powder does not give me good result when I heat emboss with it, so I found another way to use it up.  :) )  I secure my Hero Arts Large Lotus Pattern stencil over a piece of water colour paper, then spread the mixture over it.  Remove stencil and let dry.  The piece looks like this:

I really like the texture.  Next I use the distress ink applicator and sponged Wild Honey, Crushed Olive, and Barn Door over it.  Like so:

Next I spritz Perfect Pearl solution all over, the ink reacts with the water and blend together.  I place my stencil on top matching the pattern, and quickly dabbed the raised area with a paper towel to remove the ink.  (I don't know why I did ink it before I add the gesso mixture!?)   And it now looks like this:

Then I let it dry completely.  And I really like how it turned out, but I didn't know what to do with it!!!  As in how to make it into a card, nothing comes to mind.  So I torn it up!!  Yes you heard me, I torn it into two halves and use one to make a card like this:


Well thanks for listening.  The greeting, from Penny Black, is stamped with ColoxBox Lime pigment ink and heat embossed with clear powder.

ETA (on April 9th, 16:00):  I thought I missed the deadline for the Simon Says Happy Birthday Challenge.  But it turned that the linky was closed early.  So now I have the chance to enter.



Enjoy the rest of the week!!

29 comments:

joy said...

WOW, Cindy! I love this card and the way you made your own embossing paste! Very unique and very pretty. Looks like a winner in my book.

Lin said...

That took a lot of courage after all that work, Cindy! Beautiful results!

Sue McRae said...

This turned out fabulous Cindy! Love the colors and the texture from the embossing paste!

Linda E. said...

Cindy, what an awesome card. Really caught my eye. Experimenting turns out great results sometimes. I'm going to try your technique myself. Thanks for sharing.

Barb Ghig said...

I'm so impressed with how you created your own 'embossing paste', Cindy! Your card is really gorgeous! I love the pretty colors you chose for your background and the texture you added with your experiment...looks like sugar! I love your bow and sentiment, too!

teri said...

Hi Cindy! I'm so stoked you got it to work! YAY! :)
And your card looks amazzzzing! I'm with Barb. It looks like sugar!

Teri

Julie Beech said...

How very very clever to make your own embossing paste. You ended up with a great result. :)

Mariëtte said...

Clever girl, love the effect. Beautiful card
I mix gesso with flour....

Jacqueline said...

Gorgeous card, Cindy!

Virginia Lu said...

LOVE your experiment, Cindy!! The colors and textures are gorgeous! I love how you used the torn piece with that touch of satin ribbon! Thanks for sharing your process! Happy to see your entry! Congrats on the V. V. Challenge Facebook feature!

judkajudi said...

Awesome! I am going to try this. I love the color on the embossing ... adds so much! thanks for sharing this.

Laura Jane said...

BEAUTIFUL card..I have the same trouble with "not knowing what to do with the background I have just created"
Had to laugh when you said you "tore it up"...You did indeed!Like a rug...it is DAZZELING!

Emily Leiphart said...

*gasp* Love the stunning result of your stenciling, sponging and tearing, Cindy! So gorgeous!

jintyoo7 said...

Goodness gracious, Cindy - you really got creative with amazing results. Bravo - beautiful work :)

Anni said...

BEAUTIFUL!
Anni

Sarah Gray said...

Super cool card, Cindy - love your 'embossing paste' and the background inking!

Emily Leiphart said...

I'm just back to say thanks so much for playing along with the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge: Happy Birthday!

Karen L K said...

Thanks for sharing your fun technique. I just love how it turned out!

Janet a.k.a. swanlady21 said...

Beautiful

Joni nina Andaya said...

What a BEAUTIFUL card Cindy!!! Love this...really gorgeous stenciling there :)

Alanna said...

WOW, this is gorgeous. I love that you made your own embossing paste. Just a beautiful card.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Clare said...

That is SO gorgeous! You did a beautiful job on the background!!

alexandra s.m. said...

Gorgeous card Cindy!
the torn edge takes the cake ;)
TFS~

Petti said...

great texture and pretty card!

Martha said...

Cindy, this is simply BEAUTIFUL! What a fabulous design & pretty colors. It's one of my favorites in Virginia's View Challenge #2. Beautifully done!

Robin K. said...

Thanks for sharing your process Cindy! I would like to try using the embossing paste - I really like the result you achieved!

Viv said...

Wow Cindy such a fabulous card :) Viv xx

nancy littrell said...

Wow, so clever and creative. Your card turned out beautifully! TFS

maria f. said...

Beautiful "stencilling". Love those colors.